...is defined as: 'the study of the theoretical elements of music including sound and pitch, rhythm, melody, harmony, and notation'
A greater knowledge of Music Theory will help you both professionally and creatively, enabling you to:
- Communicate more effectively with other musicians
- Understand more forms of written music; chords, sheet music
- Analyse what it is you are hearing and why you like/dislike it
- Compose better music/songs
"Music theory was never intended to tell you what to play, or what to write. On the contrary, knowledge of music theory will open up the world of music to you by allowing you to fully understand and articulate the music you are hearing. The song in your head can now be written down and communicated to another musician."
- Gary Ewer (Composer, Arranger, Music Teacher, Author)
Something for everyone
Whether you are a complete beginner or just want to brush up on your theory knowledge, then private tuition with Rebekah could be exactly what you need. Rebekah is used to teaching theory to a wide variety of pupils with different aims; young people looking to take the Grade 5 Theory Exam (and earlier Grades), teenagers looking for help with GCSE or A Level Music revision, students studying for PGCEs, musicians, singers and songwriters looking to improve their knowledge and skills, opening more doors and work opportunities.
Private tuition allows students to learn at their own pace and in a style that suits them best. Rebekah is passionate about students discovering that music theory is a subject that they CAN learn and maybe even enjoy – especially those who may have previously had a bad experience of 'learning music theory'.
- 1 Hour: £20
- Combined with Vocal Tuition
1 Hour: £25
- Additional Costs may include: Travel Costs, Exercise Books and other resources, Exam Entry Fees.
- NB: For pupils requiring longer term theory tuition of 6 months or more then a bulk rate discount may be available.
Recomended Lesson Length and Frequency
This will be different for each individual pupil and their particular goals. Can vary from one-off lessons, to 1 hour or 1 ½ Hours Weekly or Fortnightly or more. Please get in contact to discuss your individual requirements in more detail and Rebekah can give you a recommendation of the best way to proceed.